Wallmart strikes again leaking the new "Sonic R".
Wallmart is always the protagonist of many leaks and this year is not different. After leaking Rage 2 Wallmart strikes again leaking Team Sonic Racing, the racing kart game by Sega previously teased as Sonic R, precisely the Nintendo Switch version.
The original Sonic R for the old Sega Saturn was a forgettable racing game, mostly limited by the hardware and the concept of running [duh it is a Sonic game] instead of being racing kart pilots. Many years after R Sega released another mediocre but enjoyable racing game called Sonic All-Star Racing, this time around featuring actual vehicles. This didn't stop Sega wanting a good racing game featuring many of their classic characters and, in fact, they finally nailed it when they released the excellent Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed for PC and for all last generation consoles (handhelds and mobile OSs included).
Sega's Transformed satisfied all the players tired to be tied to Nintendo for a solid kart racing game and this is why the new Sonic R is waited with both hype, for a proper follow up, but also concern of having a follow up to the old Saturn game.
With the Wallmart leak [can we seriously consider these actual leaks?], we now know that the new game will be a proper follow up to Transformed and we also have a short but comprehensive description of the game, all provided to Wallmart by Sega itself. Here it is the game description and cover art:
Team Sonic Racing combines the best elements of arcade and fast-paced competitive style racing as you face-off with friends in intense multiplayer racing. Race together and work together as a team by sharing power-ups and speed boosts. Take control of your racing style - Choose from 3 distinct character types and unlock game changing vehicle customization options to suit your racing style. Speed up. Gear Up Team Racing at Sonic Speed!
- Online Multiplayer & Local Co-Op Modes 12 players per race, 4 player split screen, and various offline / online race modes including Grand Prix Mode, Exhibition Mode, Time-Trial and Team Adventure Mode.
- Team Racing Race as a team, win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate.
- Performance & Skin Customization Alter the appearance and handling of your vehicle.
- Wisps - 14 spectacular offensive and defensive items to help overcome rival teams and get ahead!
- Adventure Mode Unique story experience where players are introduced to basic game features and characters.
- Various Characters and Classes 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power classes.
Together with the product page we also get the first three in game screenshots, all visible in this article. The game will almost certainly be released for PC, PS4, XONE and Switch, while the 31/12/18 release date indicated by Wallmart should be a placeholder, I'll keep you informed as soon as we have new updates regarding the game.
Are you a fan of the previous Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed? Are you hyped for Team Sonic Racing? Let us know with a comment down below or socials!